Friday Night bloggers, librarians, and some authors got together at a restaurant. It was really fun to see bloggers I knew and meet new blogger friends and librarians. I met authors Rae Carson, Tamara Ireland Stone, Jessica Khoury, and Eliot Schrefer that night. You guys, it is so cool to meet authors. I felt like I was meeting movie stars.
Saturday started off with Libba Bray as the Keynote speaker. Here's a picture of her with a light saber and cape (wish I had a better pic). It was awesome! Too funny! The low part for me was when she had the audience repeat loudly a phrase with the s*** word. There was a kid that looked to be 8 years old in front of me. For me her language was inappropriate, but besides the cussing throughout she had some great advice. My favorite advice she gave was, "Writing is revision." Great stuff.
Panels! I enjoyed the panels so much! There were 6 to choose from, and we could pick 4 to attend. Here are some notes I took at the panels I attended with my hubbie. (Did I mention my wonderful supportive husband came with me? He did! Love him.)
- "Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads" with Greg Leitich Smith, Marissa Meyer, Rachel Cohn, Jeff Hirsch, and Dan Krokos
- I loved hearing the writing process! So inspiring.
- All these books sound so good! I need to read them.
- "What Would You Do For Love?" with Tracy Deebs, Ally Condie, Kresley Cole, Jessica Shirvington, Tamara Ireland Stone, and Jessica Khoury
- Talked about the strong heroines and cute boys in their books.
- I am such an Ally Condie fan! My respect for her as an amazing author grew even more.
- "We're Not In Kansas Anymore" with Sarah Rees Brennan, Libba Bray, Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Leigh Bardugo, and Rae Carson
- Talked about researching for their books. The fact that Garcia and Stohl researched southern food like pies made me want to read their Beautiful Creatures series. :) Yum.
- Listed some authors who inspired them: CS Lewis, JR Tolkin, Robin McKinnley, Steven King
- "The Thrill of the Chase" with Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Will Richter, Lex Thomas (2 guys), Eliot Schrefer, and Ally Carter
- These books sound intense and exciting!
- Some of the authors write screen plays of their books instead of an outline. I love that idea!
This is "The Thrill of the Chase" panel. The only one where I sat close enough for a good picture. The pic was taken before the panel started.
Me and Katie from MundieMoms I was so happy to finally meet her!
Me and Ally Condie! AAAHHHH!!!!
Marissa Meyer and Me!
Ally Carter and Me!
Me and Jennifer Lynn Barnes! She was so fun in the panel. Now I really want to read her books!
Me and Rae Carson! I started The Girl of Fire and Thorns this weekend. So great!!
Here's the beautiful state capital building.
This weekend was a dream come true. I loved it! I can't wait to go to another author event. I'll definitely be back to this one next year. Thank you to all those who worked tirelessly to make this festival a tremendous success.
Some Books By The Pictured Authors: